Literacy in Geography for Scottish Borders

On Tuesday of this week, I ran a VITAL CPD Teachshare on the theme of LITERACY IN GEOGRAPHY.
You can catch the replay HERE.

I also travelled up to Earlston High School in the Scottish Borders (a 644 mile round trip...)

Here are a few of the websites that I showed and documents that I referred to in my session, which is on SLIDESHARE in various forms.

The Map that Came to Life - this can be viewed in total as images - create an up to date version with the new mapping and some street view images perhaps...

The Language of Landscape

Functional Skills in Geography - National Strategy booklet that I produced which has 3 lesson sequences for Literacy, Numeracy and ICT (PDF download)

Some slides from a SUFFOLK Literacy Session that I ran last year.

Frames for examining photos, such as from 'a different view' can be found on the GA website.

Writing a Job Application
I mentioned the Careers in Geography materials that I wrote for the GA - they can all be downloaded for free from the GA website.
For example, if you are looking at the jobs that geographers can do, how about finding some real current jobs that could be applied for.

This idea is also used by Richard Allaway on his Geography all the Way site, and was included in my KS3 Toolkit book 'Look at it this Way', which was described by Noel Jenkins recently as 'brilliant'.

It was good to meet up with Gyles from Naturesbase again. He was doing a COLLIERS GREEN FOCUS workshop before lunch with colleague Richard, a professional photographer.
I'd seen the materials before via Angus Willson, but not had a chance to take part in the workshop. Gyles did a haiku exercise similar to Mark Jones' work at UWE, and we also had to take an image.

Here's my haiku:

Lines of dark hedges
Snaking up to the skyline
Greens on either side

Also spent a few minutes at 11 in quiet contemplation for 11.11.11

Here's my image, which I altered using the WORDFOTO app...

It's a detail from inside Earlston High School, which is a very impressive building... one of the most interesting schools I've ever been in.

Also had a chance to pick up a copy of PICTURING THE WORLD, which is a useful little FREE booklet that you can request.
There's still time to get your school involved in this year's Colliers Green Focus scheme.

Thanks to the very enthusiastic group of teachers that I worked with yesterday...
Thanks also to Naomi Capewell for the original invitation.

And thanks to John Sayers and Jess for the bed for the night, and for living near to such a great beer shop....

Comments