#n30

I saw Billy at Glastonbury in 2010 while on Mission:Explore duty with the Geography Collective.


I was an NASUWT union representative and health and safety representative for 18 years when teaching. This led to one former Headteacher I worked with who shall remain nameless pigeonholing me as a bit of a troublemaker when actually I was supporting colleagues on numerous occasions. I spent many hours in meetings with colleagues who had been unfairly accused of various things, and whose careers were threatened.
Teaching is one of the most important jobs there is. It is certainly one of the hardest. The range of challenges that face teachers every day are relentless - this is not a job where you can afford an off day. It is exhausting. Teachers don't stop work at 3, and they don't have August off. It can also, of course, be the most rewarding and positive job there is.
I have just over twenty years paid in to the teachers pension scheme. I trust that it will be protected and not raided for other purposes, as has apparently been the case in the past.
Teachers deserve their pensions because teaching is a stressful occupation, and after a lifetime in the classroom they deserve a long and relaxing retirement.

If you are in a union that has voted to strike, support your union. After all, the clue is in the name... Take a day to relax and spend time with family, or go for a walk and explore your local geography...
I'll carry on blogging on your behalf.

 

Comments